Have you been injured in a slip-and-fall accident in Atlanta? Slip and fall accidents can be very painful and costly in nature. They can cause serious injuries, such as spinal cord damage, concussion, fractures, sprains and more. These injuries can affect your ability to work and require extensive medical care.
Fortunately, you may be entitled to compensation for slip and fall injuries that are suffered due to the other party’s fault. However, slip-and-fall claims are often seen as questionable which makes the cases hard to win. Additionally, to be awarded compensation for a slip and fall accident, you must prove the liability of the business or property owner.
That’s why you need competent legal advice from a slip and fall injury lawyer to have a successful claim.
Understanding Liability of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall claims are based on premise liability that holds property owners responsible if someone is injured on their property.
In Georgia, property owners and occupiers have a duty of care to keep safe premises. This includes warning visitors of any known dangers that cannot be fixed. If they fail to keep their premises safe and free from hazards it is considered negligence of their duty.
However, the property owner is not at fault for every slip and fall accident. To show negligence you need to prove that:
- They knew or should have known about the situation that caused the accident.
- They failed to fix or warn you about the unsafe conditions causing harm to you.
- Their negligence caused harm to you.
Things to Do After a Slip-and-fall Accident in Atlanta
- Take photos of the accident scene to note conditions such as uneven, slippery, or broken flooring. This can prove to be crucial evidence in your claim. You can ask a friend or family to do it if you are too injured to take the photos.
- After taking photos of the accident scene, report the accident to the property manager. You may be asked to describe the accident and give your contact information.
- It’s important to seek immediate medical attention to protect your health. It also helps to document your injuries, which can be useful for your personal injury claim.
- To understand your legal rights after a slip-and-fall accident consult an experienced slip-and-fall injury lawyer. The lawyer will assist you with all aspects of your case. They can help you with gathering evidence, negotiating with the insurance company, and if needed take your case to trial.
Mistakes to Avoid in a Slip-and-fall Accident Claim
- The insurers in slip and fall claims attempt to transfer the blame to victims. So don’t share any statement or medical records with the other party’s insurer.
- In some cases, the insurer may offer you a low settlement, before the full extent of your injuries is known. Don’t make the mistake of accepting any settlement without consulting your attorney.
Did you suffer injuries in a slip-and-fall accident in Atlanta? Contact us to schedule an appointment with our experienced catastrophic injury attorney in Atlanta. We can help you understand your legal rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.